Looking for an online spellchecker for error-free writing?
As a writer, you already understand the importance of online spell check software.
However, spelling mistakes are not uncommon among professional writers.
Fortunately, many applications provide spell checking options, allowing you to create content free of mechanical writing errors.
This spell checker review covers seven of the most popular spell checker applications, both free and paid.
|BEST SPELLCHECKER SOFTWARE|
|TRY GRAMMARLY →|
|TRY GINGER →|
|TRY WHITESMOKE →|
|TRY PROWRITINGAID →|
7 Best Online SpellChecker Software
Here’s my pick of the 7 best spell checker tools available today. I tested these tools extensively by pasting in drafts of various articles and book chapters over the course of several months.
Grammarly was designed by world-renowned linguists.
It is fast and reliable, with a well-designed interface. Use it to check email, Facebook posts, tweets, and more. You just need to copy and paste your work into it.
It even uses more than 400 grammar rules like subject-verb agreement, errant commas, passive voice, and much more to catch grammatical errors.
The free version is a good spell checker.
However, you need a paid subscription or the premium version to access advanced features like the plagiarism checker and the punctuation checker.
This online grammar checker and spelling tool is available on many platforms, including mobile. Grammarly also has an add-on for MS Word and a Chrome extension. It's available on iOS and Android as well.
- One of the most powerful spelling and grammar checker tools available for English or any other language
- A large number of features, including a variety of language styles
- This grammar check tool has a simple interface, which is easy for writers to use to improve their spelling and grammar.
- This grammar check tool cannot replace human proofreaders.
Most writers vouch for the accuracy and ease of use of this checker. The free check options in Grammarly are accurate as well.
The pricing is as follows:
- Grammarly Premium monthly subscription is priced at $29.95 per month.
- Grammarly Premium quarterly subscription costs $19.98 per month, billed as a single payment of $59.95.
- Grammarly Premium annual subscription is priced at $11.66 per month, billed as a single payment of $139.95.
You can also send your writing to a human proofreader for between 0.02 and 0.12 cents per word, depending on how soon you need it done.
ProWritingAid is a trainer intended to improve your writing style, but you can use it as an online spell checker and grammar checker.
This spelling checker includes plug-ins that integrate into other writing applications like Word and Scrivener.
ProWritingAid is available for Mac users as a desktop app, allowing them to check Word documents. Additional formats for the desktop app include HTML and OpenOffice.
- An all-around spelling checker and grammar checker tool that allows writers to check grammar, anomalies like passive voice, and to identify spelling mistakes
- Useful for writing English fiction because it scans a document of any size, unlike Grammarly and Ginger. It can check your entire book for errors and spelling mistakes!
- Doesn’t save projects for later use
- Add-ons currently aren’t available for Mac users
The prices are:
- $20 per month for a monthly subscription
- $79 for an annual subscription, or $6.58 a month
- $299 for a lifetime subscription, one-time payment
You can also use a two-week free trial of ProWritingAid.
Ginger is a reliable and user-friendly online spell checker available on multiple platforms, including Windows and Mac.
A variety of add-ons, extensions, and virtual keyboards also allow users to install the Ginger spell check or online grammar checker on their mobile devices.
It is a contextual spell checker and a punctuation checker with a text reader and translator along with a dictionary you can update.
This spelling and grammar checker tool is most suitable for users looking for a more affordable alternative to Grammarly, who still want a powerful spell checker. Ginger’s personal trainer feature is another reason to select it over Grammarly.
- This grammar checker is easy to install.
- You can buy a lifetime license.
- This spell checker tool isn’t as powerful or accurate as Grammarly.
- Struggles more with complex grammar issues and checks
Ginger is a good choice for users as it offers more functions than any other spell checker tool, but don’t want to pay Grammarly’s higher subscription cost.
The pricing structure is:
- Monthly subscription at $29.96 per month.
- Quarterly subscription at $19.98 per month if you pay upfront.
- An annual subscription at $12.48 per month if you pay upfront.
Ginger also offers a 7-day, 100% money-back guarantee.
4. Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word was first released in 1983 and has remained a popular spell check software for Windows.
This word processor is currently available as a standalone product and as a component of the Microsoft Office software suite. If you add a word to a custom dictionary in any MS Office program, it makes that word available for spell checks in all Office programs.
The Microsoft Word word processor is already installed on many computers, making it one of the handiest spell check tools available.
However, the capabilities of MS Word aren’t as advanced as some of the more dedicated online spellchecker tools available.
- One of the biggest advantages of Microsoft Word is that it may be available at no extra charge, depending on your installation.
- You can use Microsoft Word offline, so it doesn’t require internet connectivity.
- MS Word has only basic capabilities as compared to the other spell check and grammar checker applications on this list. For example, it ignores writing styles and sentence structure, unlike many other spell checkers.
- Isn’t a dedicated spellchecker or grammar checker
- Generally slower compared to other spell check and grammar checker software.
Word has many smart spell features such as a built-in grammar checker, allowing it to rival many standalone spell checking applications for general use.
Word is a part of the Microsoft 365 package (Office 365), the price of which starts from $6.99 a month. This includes MS PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, Publisher, and Access.
5. Google Docs
The distinctive feature of Google Docs compared to any other spellchecker or grammar checker is its ability to allow more than a few people to check a document at once.
It has inbuilt grammar and proofreading tools. Combining these capabilities with a spellchecker means that Google Docs is highly effective in eliminating spelling errors and grammatical errors especially for team efforts.
Consider it a free grammar checker. It also works well with Gmail as you can connect Google docs easily enough.
- Enabling other users to check your document is a huge plus.
- This spellchecker is free for use.
- Spellchecker capabilities are about as basic as those of Microsoft Word.
- Slower since it performs many other functions in addition to checking punctuation, spelling mistakes, and grammar checking.
All Google Docs users should turn on its spelling and grammar checking features. A third-party plugin is also available for improving this spell check tool for websites, usually at an additional cost.
Google Docs is free for use. You could also buy G Suite Business at monthly plans that start at $5 per user.
This checker uses Natural Language Processing (NLP), which can detect your spelling mistakes and writing style on the fly. WhiteSmoke can then make a grammar suggestion to increase the richness of your writing that other Internet spell check tools are unable to match.
This online grammar check and online spell check tool can check internet content such as English newspaper articles, blog posts, and webpages, allowing it to incorporate new words as they’re added to the lexicon.
- Has many features, including over 600 templates and a personal tutor
- This English checker is expensive compared to most other spell checkers.
- Its use of NLP to check spelling and grammar makes the checker slower and more resource-intensive.
- Users who are new to spell check software may find WhiteSmoke to be overly complicated.
WhiteSmoke is suitable for professional writers, teachers, and students, especially those who write on technical topics.
- Whitesmoke Essential: $5 per month, billed as a single payment of $59.95
- Whitesmoke Premium: $6.66 per month, billed as a single payment of $79.95.
- Whitesmoke Business: $11.50 per month, billed as a single payment of $137.95.
WhiteSmoke doesn’t offer a monthly subscription. But, you can choose to buy a 3-year subscription to save money.
7. After the Deadline
After the Deadline (ATD) is a browser-based editing tool that includes an English spell checker. This online spell check tool is available as a plugin for most major browsers, including Firefox and Google Chrome.
It is a feature-light application. However, it has enough power to analyze your writing, including identifying passive voice and redundant words.
This English spell check software gives you explanations for each grammar suggestion, which is a critical spell check feature.
- Completely free for use
- Ability to explain errors for different English writing styles is an advantage over other spell checkers
- Isn’t as powerful as some of its competitors
- Requires an internet connection
This checker is most suitable for casual users due to its small footprint and free usage. Serious users will probably prefer one of the other spell check tool choices like Grammarly.
After the Deadline is free for use.
Free vs. Paid Spell Check Software
A spellcheck or grammar software may be free of charge or may incur a monthly fee. The latter have more features as you would expect, but that doesn’t mean a free spell check or grammar tool isn’t worth it.
Commercial spell check software or virtual writing tutor providers sometimes offer trial versions of their software at no charge, which typically have fewer features and more limited spell capabilities than paid versions.
The features in a paid spell checker and grammar tool are of value to serious writers.
These include the correction of any unrecognized word, phonetic mistakes, spelling mistakes, punctuation mistakes, passive voice checking, sentence structure checking, and checks for other grammatical errors. Some of them even have an inbuilt plagiarism checker.
All this can help give your writing proper grammar and a more professional quality.
Paid grammar software also tends to have more extensive dictionaries so that no false mistake or English grammar error gets reported. Some of them also let you add words to a custom dictionary.
This capability is particularly essential for technical writing, which uses everyday words differently. For example, you needn’t capitalize the term “agile” when used as a common word. However, you need to capitalize when referring to “Agile software development”.
A paid checker is more likely to allow the addition of words to its dictionary, which helps check for any spelling error or grammar error on proper nouns.
English and multi-language capability is another common benefit of paid spell checker software. For example, “colour” will be highlighted as a misspelling in US English, but it is used in UK English. At the same time, “color” is the correct spelling in US English.
Final Thoughts on the Best Online Spellchecker
Your readers may notice a mechanical writing error or a spelling error more often than you might expect, which distracts them from your message.
A thorough understanding of English spelling and grammatical rules is essential for professional or academic writing, and even to enter any spelling test.
The best spell check software tools charge a monthly fee instead of a one-time cost. However, don’t dismiss free spell check software tools, which are surprisingly powerful.
Who should use spell check software?
Just about anyone who writes anything online! This includes bloggers, students, professionals, and copywriters. They will help you write something that sounds and reads professional and error-free.
How Do You Use A Spell Checker?
Follow these steps when you use a spelling check or an online grammar tool:
1. Upload your text in any of these ways
2. Type or copy-paste your text onto the text box in the virtual writing tutor tool.
3. Provide a URL, and this grammar corrector tool will fetch the content from there.
4. Upload a file in a specified format.
5. Upload a file from your cloud storage.
6. Click the spelling check command to start the spell check.
7. Accept changes to any misspelled word, punctuation errors, or grammatical errors that are highlighted, or revert to the original. (Some online spellchecker and grammar check tools offer the autocorrect option as well.)
8. Download the file from the as a PDF, Doc, TXT or other formats or send the text as an email attachment.
Note: All tools may not offer all these features, especially the free ones.
How does a spell checker and grammar checker work?
There are four common ways to check text for spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes:
Dictionary-based: In this case, the spell checker or grammar check tool compares each word to a word in a dictionary. This helps to identify a spelling mistake or grammatical mistake easily.
Based on predefined rules: Some grammar checking tools and spell check software use predefined rules to find common grammar errors like improper use of tense, misspelling, and wrong use of indefinite article “a” and “an”.
Based on statistical information: A few grammar checking tools and spell check software use statistical methods to spot grammar mistakes or a misspelt word – if there is enough usage data to analyze.
Language-based: They're subtle differences between US english and British english. For example, in Ireland and the United Kingdom we say “realise” whereas in the US, it's “realize”. Setting your spell checker to the right region will help check for these issues.
Some grammar checking and spell check software also use a combination of these approaches.
Grammar checker software refers to an exhaustive dictionary, using thousands of rules, and sometimes even a statistical database to find rare mistakes.
There could be errors in your English grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and even spelling mistakes in languages other than English that the software will weed out.
Most of these online grammar check tools have a word and character counter as well.
Word counters count the number of words, or grouping of letters or numbers, separated by whitespace.
Character counters count the number of characters you type into the text box – including whitespace, punctuation, and numbers.
Why Use Spellcheck Software?
Spelling and grammar check software reduces writing errors, although it isn’t a replacement for a professional proofreader.
However, these proofreading programs can identify a majority of common spelling errors and offer spelling suggestions.
Quality content is particularly important to content writers because search algorithms like Google penalize writing and grammar errors in their search page results.
You can spend extra time proofreading content, but writing and grammar checking probably isn’t your only task. You can also hire a professional editor or virtual writing tutor for longer pieces.
However, a reliable checker is the most economical way to do grammar checking and creating polished content without a single grammar error or spelling mistake. You can also use one to fix sentence structure.
What Types of Mistakes Can Spell Checkers and Grammar Checkers Detect?
A spelling checker and grammar corrector tool can detect several of these grammatical errors:
- Phonetic spelling mistakes (e.g., suggests changing “ettikette” to the correct spelling “etiquette”)
- Any typo, unrecognized word, or a misspelled word
- Irregular verb conjugations (corrects “flied” to “flew”)
- Similar sounding word spelling errors
- Punctuation errors
- A common mistake like capitalization errors
- Any grammar errors in subject-verb agreement
- Passive voice
- Run-on sentence
- Sentence readability issues
- Word density issues
- Word choice issues
- Misused words
- Wrong sentence structure
- And, many more common grammar mistakes
Join over 15,000 writers today
You'll get a free book of practical writing prompts.