Are you looking for the best mouse for carpal tunnel syndrome?
As a writer, your hands are your tools. A mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome can easily derail your ability to get anything done.
A bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome is excruciating and can involve pain shooting up and down your wrist and arm.
If you’re searching for the best mouse for carpal tunnel, this article explains what the condition is, how it affects writers, and the most popular mice available on Amazon today.
What Is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Also known as median nerve compression, according to the Mayo Clinic, carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that affects the median nerve in the sufferer’s hand.
WebMD reports that the median nerve runs along the length of your arm and passes through your wrist’s carpal tunnel, which is a narrow passageway filled with ligaments and bones that eventually reaches the palm side of your hand.
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when you experience pressure on the median nerve, which comes from repetitive motion, a wrist fracture, inflammation and swelling caused by rheumatoid arthritis and other risk factors.
What Are the Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
If you suspect you suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, consult your physician. Hallmark signs of the condition that indicate carpal tunnel include:
Tingling or Numbness
If you have recently noticed a numbness or tingling in your fingers or hand, this is a common symptom of carpal tunnel.
Fingers affected usually include the thumb, index, middle and ring digits, while the little finger remains unaffected. Some sufferers report that the sensation is like an electric shock.
At times, the feeling migrates from your hands to your wrist and up your arm. Many patients report they feel this sensation while holding a mobile phone, magazine or steering wheel, or it awakens them from sleep.
I suffered from this syndrome after using flat mice, like the Apple Magic mouse, and keyboards without a wrist rest, for extended periods.
The longer someone suffers from this condition, the more constant the numbness becomes over time.
Sometimes carpal tunnel takes on the more worrisome symptom of weakness, which causes sufferers to drop objects. In this case, the issue often stems from the pinching of the thumb’s muscles, which the median nerve controls.
Additional symptoms include burning and itching in your palm and thumb or your middle and index fingers. Sufferers also experience shock-like feelings moving into one or more fingers. It can affect both your left and right hands.
What Is the Best Mouse for Wrist Pain Caused by Carpal Tunnel?
Some people say a carpal tunnel support brace can relieve symptoms while you sleep and rest.
That said, prevention is better than a cure … or relief. An ergonomic mouse provides much-needed assistance while you write, in that it will support the arc of your hand and wrist .
If you have a cheap mouse and suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, the longer you write each day, the more aggravated your median nerve becomes.
As a dedicated writer, you already combat the affects of sitting in one spot for much of the day trying to come up with the perfect phrase or conclusion to a short story.
So you don’t need any additional challenges while using a mouse or scrolling.
Add a tingling or numbing sensation to the mix, and it becomes even more challenging to sit with your back straight, feet on the ground and eyes forward.
Those simple practices are vital elements for keeping you comfortable and facilitating robust writing sessions. If your pain worsens, you will likely let your other good habits slide to compensate for the discomfort.
Let a computer mouse take over the finer details and heavy lifting to keep you healthy and happily creative and productive.
Whether you choose an ergonomic mouse, a vertical mouse, a trackball mouse, or a wireless mouse, you will find relief, but some mouse devices help more than others.
How Does a Trackball Mouse Rate for Carpal Tunnel?
A trackball mouse is a popular solution for sufferers of carpal tunnel. The device looks like an upside-down mouse, featuring an exposed ball on top of the mouse, minimizing the risk of thumb tendonitis. This type of mouse differs from standard a standard mouse where the optical sensor is on the bottom.
The position of the trackball can vary depending on the type of mouse you buy. It should provide smooth and precise movement and control, while reducing pressure on your wrist and arm.
Is a Vertical Mouse Good for Carpal Tunnel?
Vertical mouse products are also helpful for reducing pain and promoting the prevention of carpal tunnel for their responsiveness alone. They also offer a natural and comfortable hold and easy access to function buttons.
The Best Mice for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
I’ve searched for the best mouse options for carpal tunnel and wanted to share them with you.
1. Logitech MX Master 3 Wireless Mouse
The Logitech MX Master 3 is an advanced wireless computer mouse.
Starting at $100, this wireless mouse is a considerable investment, but you will love the returns in pain relief and productivity. Thanks to a great battery life, it can last up to 70 days on a single USB charge. The optical sensor is also highly responsive.
It includes seven button including backwards and forwards buttons, a side scroll wheel. It’s also for large hands.
The Logitech Mx Master features electromagnetic scrolling and more customisation options than you’ll ever need. You can even create predefined app-specific profiles for Windows, Linux and iOS operating systems.
As a bonus, it is blissfully quiet, so you won’t need to hear the clicks that often accompany each press of your mouse’s buttons.
The comfortable shape and intuitive controls will ease pressure on your wrist, allowing you to rest your hand over the device to move your cursor with only the slightest effort.
It comes with a Logitech Unifying receiver so you can pair a keyboard or take the mouse with you and use on other devices.
Note from editor: This is the top ergonomic mouse I recommend. I haven’t had RSI in years thanks to this device. It’s the best mouse on the market right now.
- Ultra-fast magspeed scrolling - Remarkable speed, precision and quietness of electromagnetic scrolling with all new magspeed wheel - up to 90% faster, 87% more precise and ultra-quiet
- Comfort shape and intuitive controls - Work comfortably with perfectly sculpted shape and ideally placed thumb wheel and controls
- App-specific customizations - Speed up your workflow with predefined app-specific profiles and numerous customization options. Advanced 2.4 GHz wireless technology
- Flow cross-computer control - Work seamlessly on three computers. Seamlessly transfer cursor, text, and files - between windows and macOS, desktop and laptop
- Works on any surface even on glass with dark field 4000 DPI sensor. It is faster and 5x more precise than the basic mouse - so you always hit the right Pixel
2. Jelly Comb Wireless Vertical Mouse
The Jelly Comb Wireless Mouse offers a unique design that reduces tension and encourages a healthy and natural grip.
With the arm and wrist in neutral and natural positions, you can enjoy a smoother experience with less need to cramp or strain your wrist.
The high responsiveness of this mouse means you will have a smooth and seamless experience as your mouse glides, without glitches, from one point to another on the screen. The Jelly Comb is compatible with a broad range of operating systems.
The Jelly Comb offers a high level of quality for the attractive price of $20 (price subject to change).
The only con to using the Jelly Comb Wireless is that it takes a while to get accustomed to using a slightly different angle.
Still, that is not a deal-breaker, because once you get used to it – in just a few minutes, in most cases – you won’t remember you had an adjustment phase when your mouse is zooming all over the screen.
- ☛ The Wireless Vertical Mouse Turn Heads with a Futuristic Design. Made for Increased Functionality and Comfort, This Rechargeable; Rrgonomic Mouse Combines a Handshake Grip with Easy-Access.
- ☛ Connection Mode: 2.4G USB; Sensitivity: 3 DPI modes: 800-1200-1600 Adjustable.
- ☛ It has 6 multi-function buttons. Added next/previous buttons provide convenience when webpage browsing, designed to increase your work efficiency. the sturdy scroll wheel with rubber spins with the perfect amount of resistance, makes sure that your hand will not slip when scrolling.
- ☛ Vertical mouse Widely compatible for Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 / Linux. Fits for Desktop, Laptop, PC, for Chromebook and other Devices.
- ☛ Package Includes: 1x Right Handed Mouse Vertical Ergonomic Mouse.
3. Acedada Rechargeable Ergonomic Wireless Mouse
The Acedada Rechargeable Wireless Vertical Mouse offers you scientifically designed ergonomic support. The vertical ergonomic design of the mouse allows you to rest your hand over it, resembling and feeling like a light handshake for premium comfort and support.
The Acedada offers several function buttons that assist with activities associated with web page browsing, such as internet surfing, email monitoring and game playing.
One feature owners reported sets this mouse apart is that it is rechargeable, which makes good sense since you already plug it into a USB port. The fewer components needed, including batteries, the more customers love products these days.
The price point comes in at the $20 range, making it an inexpensive option, especially for all it offers in comfort and battery savings.
This mouse is compatible with all major operating systems.
The main con associated with the Acedada is that it offers no software programs for support.
- ✔ SCIENTIFIC ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The ergonomic design offers your hand maximum support for lasting comfort, Encourages healthy neutral "handshake" wrist and arm positions for smoother movement and less overall strain.
- ✔ RECHARGEABLE WIRELESS MOUSE: Built-in high capacity rechargeable battery, no longer needs to buy batteries. Easy to charge through micro USB charging cable (Approx. 2-hour full). Auto sleep mode and awake the wireless mouse by pressing any key. Supports continue to use while charging so you don’t have to worry about running out of power.
- ✔ STABLE CONNECTION WITH LESS NOISE CLICK: Deliver a powerful, reliable 2.4GHz wireless mouse connection with high anti-interference performance with 32.8ft/10M transmission distance. Quieter click makes you concentrate on the work without disturbing others beside you. Just Plug and Play!【One Nano USB receiver at the bottom of mouse】
- ✔ 6 BUTTONS AND 3 ADJUSTABLE DPI: Added next/previous functionality buttons provide convenience when web page browsing; the superior choice for internet surfers, players and people who work at length at the computer. 800 / 1200 / 1600 DPI Resolution Optical Tracking Technology provides more sensitivity than standard optical mice for smooth and precise tracking on a wide range of surfaces.
- ✔ WIDE COMPATIBILITY: Well compatible with Windows7/8/10/XP, Vista7/8, and Linux, etc. Fits for desktop, laptop, PC, Macbook and other devices.【Note: Not compatible with Mac OS, Apple Products】 WARRANTY -- This Acedada wireless ergonomic mouse enjoys 2-year worry-free warranty as well as lifetime technical support.
4. Delux Rechargeable Silent Ergonomic Mouse
Priced just under $40, you may consider the Delux Rechargeable Silent Ergonomic Mouse a wise investment.
Described as “mini and exquisite,” it features the classic mini “handshake” ergonomic design to fit the palm. The material has an organic and life-like feel. The smooth experience and gentle grip provide a therapeutic experience to allow your writing to flow more freely.
Delux also designed a rechargeable battery to add savings and convenience for you. At the same time, the dual-mode connection and the USB nano receiver means you can toggle between wireless and Bluetooth connections.
In addition to the lightning-fast response, the DPI and RGB buttons are interesting features.
RGB lighting illuminates your entire workspace, adding light at the surface level for better concentration and the ability to see things from a new perspective.
DPI stands for dots per inch and relates to the sensitivity of the optical sensor. Turn it up, if you want your cursor to move rapidly across the screen with minimal hand movements.
Some Delux buyers have reported minor issues with Delux’s wireless connection, while others note that the device is somewhat fragile.
- [Mini and exquisite]: Compact mini vertical design with natural handshake design, vertical slope design for palm and with skin-friendly material, fit for human hand structure; Concave area for Thumb and little extended bottom edge for the pinky finger, smoother moving and more comfortable grip; Not just mini but ergonomic, reducing hand fatigue caused by long-term use of a traditional mouse, releasing the pressure
- [Built-in Rechargeable 1000mA polymer Li-ion Battery]: At a single power charging for 2-3 hours and with RGB light on, stable use for 2 weeks; With auto energy-saving sleeping design and RGB light off, normally it could last for a month, and it is with Type-C cable and the USB-C port designed in front of the mouse, it could work when charging
- [Tri-mode connection]: BT 5.0, USB-C wired and 2.4G RF(USB Nano Receiver stored in the mouse bottom), easy shift between BT and 2.4G wireless mode, adapting different using condition
- [4 Adjustable DPI and RGB Lighting]: 800/1200/1600/2400 4 shift DPI via the DPI button located above the backward button, easy adjustment; Especially it is with RGB lighting (pressing left, right and scroll button simultaneously to turn on/off the light), lights up your working area and offering your marvelous working experience
- [All DELUX products include 12 months warranty and free lifetime technical support] [Compatibility]: Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10/Android, fit for different devices, PC, Laptop, Computer, Notebook, Phone, Macbook(limited supports to Mac, the backward and forward button are not available for Mac and without Mac version driver) etc
5. Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring
The Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse is a popular trackball mouse.
It offers a unique level of comfort since you do not need to move the mouse; you simply move the cursor while the thumb-controlled trackball stays in place. You pick one spot on your desk, an adjacent table or your leg, and let your thumb and fingers work. It doesn’t need a mouse pad.
Think of it as a built-in palm rest!
Thanks to optical tracking technology, the mouse claims precise cursor movement and pinpoint accuracy for moving quickly and precisely across the screen.
Using less hand movement, you can enjoy improved productivity and efficiency. The screen ring around the blue trackball allows for easy scrolling up and down pages to read news articles and more.
It also features media browser controls, advanced button customization options and support for text snippets. It works on Windows and Mac.
I’d recommend trying one of these mice first before buying it as transitioning from a standard mouse to a trackball device can take a few weeks. It’s also quite easy for a trackball to accumulate dirt and debris.
A wired device, you don’t need to worry about battery life. However, it will drain power from your laptop while on the go.
- Optical tracking technology provides precise cursor movement for superior accuracy so you can get where you want on the screen Quickly with less hand movement, improving productivity and efficiency; The blue 40mm ball has been specially designed with an absolute spherical, hard surface for precise tracking and control
- Unique scroll Ring let you move up and down web pages or documents with ease; ambidextrous design works equally well for both right-handed and left-handed users
- Detachable Wrist rest softly cushions and cradles the hand and wrist in an ergonomic position for pain-free productivity during extended periods of activity on the computer
- Free downloadable KensingtonWorks software provides a personalized experience, giving you the ability to assign a wide variety of program functions to each of the 2 buttons, as well as adjusting cursor and scrolling speeds
- ChromeOS user can get HID functions for a trackball but will not be able to customize their device through KensingtonWorks.
6. Nulaxy Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Mouse
Nulaxy offers ergonomic wireless vertical design at a budget price. For under $15, this high-functioning model aims to help protect your wrist from orthopedic injuries or alleviate pain associated with existing hand, finger, and wrist issues.
Set your DPI settings to your specifications to allow for the level of responsiveness most comfortable for you. As a writer, you can generally keep those settings low, but if you need to decompress after a long and challenging writing session, crank that up as much as you’d like.
Featuring six, multi-functional buttons, the Nulaxy is an unusual-looking device that claims to help stabilize your wrist and hand while working.
One reported con associated with the Nulaxy is that after some use the surface becomes slippery.
- COMFORTABLE ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Scientifically ergonomic designed vertical mouse encourages healthy "handshake" wrist and arm positions for more precise and much smoother movement and less strain. Perfect for those Officemen needing long time working with mouse.
- 3 ADJUSTABLE DPI: Nulaxy wireless vertical mouse with 800 / 1200 / 1600 DPI Resolution Optical Tracking Technology, provides much sensitive than standard optical mice with smooth and precise tracking on different kinds of surfaces.
- EASY TO USE: Plug and play, no lag, no loss of connectivity. The setup of the wireless vertical mouse is pretty easy, no driver installation needed. Just fit the receiver into a USB port and use with ease. ( One Nulaxy USB receiver at the bottom of mouse)
- MULTIFUNCTION BUTTON: wireless ergonomic mouse, with DPI switch for easily changing the cursor speed and adjusting the sensitivity of the mouse. Added forward/backward buttons provide convenience when webpage browsing, increasing your work efficiency. A sturdy scroll wheel with rubber spins makes sure that your hand will not slip when scrolling.
- WIDE COMPATIBILITY: Wireless Vertical mouse Widely compatible with Windows 2000 / XP / Vista /7/8/10/ Mac / Linux. Fits for desktop, laptop, PC, Chromebook and other devices. ( Note: The Forward/Backward buttons are unavailable in Mac OS X.) Meet all your needs and your daily work easily.
The Best Mouse for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The Bottom Line
You don’t have to slow down your writing and productivity if you suffer from carpal tunnel.
A dictation program doesn’t need to become your default means of transmitting your thoughts from your brain to the cloud unless that is what you want.
You just need to decide what the best mouse for carpal tunnel is and go for it.
Based on mouse devices I’ve reviewed here, you can find something that helps you stay productive without experiencing the pain of carpal tunnel syndrome.
And the the best mouse for carpal tunnel syndrome is…
The Logitech MX Master! If you want the best trackball mouse, opt for the Kensington Orbital Trackball.
Join over 15,000 writers today
Get a FREE book of writing prompts and learn how to make more money from your writing.