Why is it important for writers to have a good keyboard? As a writer, you live at your keyboard. Whether you’re writing a book, a web page, or your next blog post, you spend hours on hours every day tapping away at your desk. From the vast range of good keyboards currently available on the market, there are some that I think stand out as especially well-suited to the needs of writers.
All the keyboards in this article I consider to be world-class options. The five models I’ve selected span the gamut of advanced features. From wireless, Bluetooth, and integrated web function keys, to ultra ergonomics, oversized fonts, and multicolour backlighting; I believe this cutting-edge keyboard collection provides the best keyboards for writers.
- 1. Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 for Business – Wired
- 2. CHERRY G86 LPOS Keyboard w/Touchpad
- 3. Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard
- 4. Azio Large Print Tri-Colour Backlit Wired Keyboard
- 5. Logitech Ergo K860 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard with Wrist Rest
- Today’s Best Keyboard for Writers
1. Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 for Business – Wired
The split sections design of the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 helps tend the forearm, wrist and hand positions toward a more relaxed natural alignment. This state-of-the-art design aids in maintaining optimal muscle and joint health and safety for people who routinely use keyboards for extended time periods – like writers. The cushy padded palm rest supports the wrist, allowing it to rest in a neutral position, avoiding much of the common muscular and joint stress writers experience when using keyboards that do not offer this ergonomic feature.
Studies show that using an ergonomic keyboard is associated with a significant decrease in symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. The Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 features an advanced curved design, making the keyboard layout more intuitive. The keys are easier to reach without the typical awkward posturing that is necessary with traditional keyboard designs. Writers spend their lives hovering over their keyboards. So, it’s essential for all writers to have the most practical keyboard possible.
That means, above all, having an ideally ergonomic keyboard. The more comfortable the keyboard, the less distraction caused by muscle and joint discomfort. Equipment that actually helps with focus and eliminating distractions is, of course, the top priority in setting up an ideally conducive writing environment.
- Built-In Palm Rest – Exceptional wrist and palm support with luxurious cushioned palm rest.
- Zoom Slider – Convenient zooming tool for a quick close-up view of screen images.
- Customisable Favourites Keys – Instant access to your most frequently used files, folders, and web pages.
- Device Stage – Quick access to devices like printers, cameras, webcam, mouse, or cell phones.
- Taskbar Favourites – Quick access to applications on the taskbar by hot keys.
- Internet and Email Hot Keys – Handy access to email and the Internet. Customisable keys for rapid access to folders, files, and webpages.
- Multimedia Integration Keys – Control all your media quickly and conveniently from the keyboard.
- F Keys Lock – Locking F keys prevents accidental engagement of F key commands.
- Upgraded Number Pad – With symbols such as equals sign relocated to just above the number pad.
- Three-Year Warranty and User Support.
- Ideal ergonomic design promotes the natural alignment of wrists and arms for greater comfort while writing.
- Healthier and more comfortable arm support with plush cushioned palm rest.
- Curved keyboard with state-of-the-art ergonomic contours design.
- Easier access to programs on the taskbar, without using mouse movement and clicking.
- Fast access to keyboard settings and devices, such as printers, cameras, mouse, webcam, and even cell phones.
- Convenient access and control of all your media from the keyboard.
- The split sections of the palm rest with the metal panel between the two sides may not be preferred by some writers accustomed to continuous palm rest pads across the length of the keyboard.
- The keyboard is longer than comparable models, which may not be ideal for limited workspaces.
- Installation of enclosed IntelliType Pro and IntelliPoint software is required prior to connecting the keyboard to Mac OS X v10.2.x hardware.
Specifications: Weight 2.2 lbs. Dimensions 20 x 11 x 3 in. 100 MB hard drive. USB Port. Requires 1 x AA battery.
Compatibility: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (except Windows XP 64-bit) Microsoft Windows 10 Phone, Mac OS X v10.7x – 10.10, Android 3.2 – 5.0.
Pricing: The Microsoft 4000 is among the lowest priced keyboards of my five favourites listed here.
2. CHERRY G86 LPOS Keyboard w/Touchpad
The CHERRY G86 LPOS Keyboard is a high-end, full-sized keyboard with a touchpad. This exceptionally durable keyboard is built to withstand harsh environments. The multifunctional Cherry G86 is highly rated for its dust and spill-resistant effectiveness, and it’s rated for 20 million actuations in rough conditions. The keyboard has 127 enhanced positions, with 123 programmable keys.
This keyboard features an integrated magnetic card reader, UPOS drivers and the configuration functionality in the keyboard’s featured CHERRY Tools software offers users unparalleled control over the Cherry G86’s array of programming alternatives.
- 123 programmable keys.
- High-resolution touchpad.
- Enhanced functionality through virtual programming with CHERRY Tools.
- Unlimited Programming options for all keys in 3 layers.
- Easy exchange of modifier positions and all other key positions.
- Convenient pop-up window display of programmed keys.
- High-performance magnetic stripe reader.
- Rugged keyboard design for harsh working environments.
- Dust and spill-resistant.
- Startup Guide.
- Exceptionally robust keyboard design.
- Built-In touchpad convenience.
- Plug ‘n Play – no fuss to start using it.
- Dust and spill-resistant.
- A large number of programmable keys.
- Higher priced than other keyboards on this list.
- No built-in ergonomic palm rest.
Specifications: 17.4″ keyboard. Dimensions 16.3 x 10.6 x 1.9 in. Weight 3.7 lbs. Wired technology. No batteries required. QWERTY key assignment layout.
Pricing: The Cherry G86 is the highest priced keyboard of the five I’ve identified as my current favorites.
3. Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard
The Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard features brightly backlit lettering on keys, making keys easier to see, even when writing in very low light. Special PerfectStroke engineering makes keystrokes quieter and more fluid and comfortable. This keyboard is rechargeable with a micro USB cable (included). The Logitech K800 features adjustable lighting. Simply press a button for quick lighting adjustments.
With the K800’s backlit keys and design to maximise keystroke efficiency and comfort, this keyboard delivers a state-of-the-art writing experience in daylight or low evening light. This model also features 2.4 GHz, for a powerful wireless connection. A tiny unifying receiver becomes part of your computer, to enable the wireless communication with your K800 keyboard. Other Logitech devices can be seamlessly integrated via a USB receiver.
- Lighted lettering on keys for easy location in low light.
- Wireless technology that provides convenient and flexible options.
- Fast-charging for ready use on-demand.
- Dropout-Free 2.4GHz Connection.
- Attractive, sleek, but durable design.
- Hand-detection technology lights up as you approach the keys.
- Lighted keys for easier and faster writing in low light.
- Charges fast, dropout-free, powerful 2.4 GHz wireless.
- USB-enabled recharging, no batteries needed.
- Very thin profile for exceptionally sleek look and feel.
- Fewer ergonomic features than my other favourite keyboards.
- Need internet access for the software download to activate the keyboard.
- Software required to connect the unifying receiver with other devices.
Specifications: Weight 2.2 lbs. Dimensions 18.4 x 8.2 x 2.3 in. USB-enabled recharge.
Compatibility: Compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
Pricing: This Logitech model is priced at the low end of my five favourites listed here.
4. Azio Large Print Tri-Colour Backlit Wired Keyboard
This Azio Keyboard has a beautiful, sleek design. For writers who work in lower light settings, the triple-phase backlighting feature is a game-changer. The Azio features over-sized letters on the keys, making everything on the keyboard easily identifiable. Shortcut keys enable the ideal navigation of your online activities or favourite software programs. The backlighting options are adaptable to your own preferences.
This keyboard is an excellent choice for upgrading your home office. It offers a sophisticated, streamlined writing tool, with ideal readability. It features large fonts on keys, to help reduce eye strain, especially in lower light, and to facilitate increased speed and productivity for writers.
- Three-Color Backlighting – Choices of blue, purple, or red illumination.
- Easy Access Keys – Hot keys for quick commands and multimedia access.
- USB Enabled – Just plug the keyboard into your computer and start typing.
- Large lettering on keys.
- Warranty and Customer Support.
- Startup Guide.
- Over-sized fonts that are easier to see than standard key lettering.
- Illuminated keys that make writing in low light more comfortable.
- Three-colour lighting helpful for distinguishing keyboard sections in low light.
- Sleek and attractive, but sturdy construction.
- No ergonomic palm rest.
- No ergonomic design contours.
Specifications: Wired lighted keyboard. Weight 2.2 lbs. Dimensions 18.4 x 1.1 x 7.4 inches. USB cord 5 ft. 2 USB ports.
Pricing: The Azio is among the three lower-priced models on this list.
5. Logitech Ergo K860 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard with Wrist Rest
The Logitech Ergo K860 is designed to promote natural body posture and motion while writing and reduce fatigue. This unique keyboard features a split layout and is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
The advanced ergonomic design of the Logitech Ergo K860 enables you to type with a more naturally relaxed positioning of arms, wrists, and palms. It improves typing posture and reduces muscle tension. This keyboard features a split keyframe on a sloped, curved key field, to minimise strain on forearms and wrists while writing and help keep shoulders and neck more relaxed than when using standard rectangular keyboards.
The palm and wrist rest is pillowed, providing more than 50 percent additional wrist support than traditional keyboards. Scooped keys are contoured to fingertips for ideal keying action with minimal slip and friction. The Logitech Ergo K860 is precision-engineered to deliver more stable keystrokes that reduce keying noise. This cutting-edge keyboard enables multiple-device use.
- Natural ergonomic split-frame keyboard.
- Connects with USB receiver or with Bluetooth wireless from as far as 10 metres.
- Quiet keys with fingertip contoured tops.
- Pillowed palm rest with multiple layers of cushioning.
- Adjustable palm raise support.
- Legs tilt to 0°, -4°,or -7° for further enhanced ergonomic adjustability.
- Supports up to 3 connected devices.
- Includes Logitech FLOW Control capability.
- Startup Guide.
- Superior ergonomic curved shape for minimal arm and wrist stress.
- Quiet keys that promote optimal concentration for writers.
- Split key field for improved posture during long hours of writing.
- Extra-wide palm and wrist rest for superior support.
- Multiple layers of cushion in palm rest for exceptional comfort.
- Wireless versatility.
- No backlighting for low-light writing.
- No touchpad on the keyboard.
Specifications: Full-sized keyboard. Tilt legs. Logitech Flow Control up to 3. Uses 2 x AAA batteries.
Compatibility: Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, Linux, iOS, Android.
Pricing: This is the second-highest priced keyboard of the five on this list.
Today’s Best Keyboard for Writers
I’ve attempted to take some of the legwork out of your search for the best keyboard for writers, so you can simply pick the one that makes the most sense for your lifestyle and writing habits. Of all the keyboards I examined, the five described above offer features that I find are most important to writers.
Which keyboard will be your next purchase?
Get your 101 writing prompts today
Need help getting started writing? Use these proven writing prompts. I'll also send you practical writing advice and more as part of my newsletter.