What’s the best writing desk you can buy, and what should you know before spending money on one?
An excellent writing desk is the centerpiece of your office or workspace.
You’re going to spend hours sitting (or standing) at it, therefore, finding the perfect desk is essential.
Why not opt for the best?
That’s what we’ll cover in this roundup of some of the best writing desks for sale today.
- Should You Buy An Ikea Writing Desk?
- The 14 Best Writing Desks For Your Home Office
- Which Writing Desk is Best for You?
- Tips For Buying The Best Writing Desk
- What Are the Key Differences Between Writing Desks and Computer Desks?
- Why Do You Need a Writing Desk?
- Should You Buy a Standing Desk?
- Final Thoughts on The Best Writing Desks
Ready to find the perfect desk? Let’s go.
Should You Buy An Ikea Writing Desk?
It is possible to browse the home office furniture section of your local department store to find a nice design. You could also try Ikea.
I've purchased two modern writings desks from Ikea over the years. It sells furniture for small and large spaces and even offers l-shaped desks with metal legs.
Typically, their models are well-made and durable. You can usually buy matching shelving, drawers and other office furniture, assuming you've got additional storage space.
Ikea desks are constructed from compressed wood rather than solid wood. Compressed wood is a man-made product comprising off saw dust, wood and other wood particles. Don't worry, it's like a wooden desk.
However, some people prefer to buy office furnishing online as it’s often cheaper and you can browse a wider variety before making the right choice.
Just remember: buy cheap, buy twice!
The 14 Best Writing Desks For Your Home Office
Below, you can find information about some of the best writing desks for sale on Amazon with some insights from reviewers and customers. Prime members can even get free 2-day shipping on a wide selection of choices. These options pair nicely with a good keyboard and mouse.
1. The Zinus Jennifer Modern Studio Collection Soho Desk
This is a simple yet robust product with a modern design. Unlike many other desks, this piece of furniture is easy to assemble and does not require any hard-to-find tools. It comes in three different sizes.
This modern office desk is barebones, so forget shelves, storage drawers, or other accessories. Personally, I like a no-frills piece like this, as it is versatile and pleasing to look at.
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy steel legs and steel frame with a painted, sleek finish
- MODERN STYLE & FUNCTION FOR ANY ROOM - Perfect for your home office, bedroom workspace or living area, this clean-lined contemporary desk helps pull together any room in need of a little extra table space
- BUILT STURDY - Solid steel frame and thick tabletop are built to hold up to 100 lbs of evenly distributed weight
- DIMENSIONS: 55" L x 24" W x 29" H
- EASY ASSEMBLY - All parts, tools and instructions are expertly packed in one compact box for simple setup that takes less than 30 minutes
- Worry-free 1 year manufacturer warranty
2. The BonVIVO Massimo Desk
The BonViVo is a dense, small writing desk featuring a glass top with bamboo legs – a lovely modern design. This secretary desk should reside in a smaller room. Two people working together can build this piece of furniture in an average of 20 minutes.
I’ve used glass desks before.
They look attractive, but they’re louder than wooden desks. When you place a cup on them, for example, they make more noise than a wood writing desk. Consider this factor if you live in a small house or apartment.
- Storage compartment for office supplies and paperwork
- Minimalistic furnishing
- Engineered quality; shatterproof glass top with a wooden shelf and legs made of sturdy bamboo
- Elegant versatility; it is ideal for any modern workspace as a computer table or as a student desk
- Dimensions 29.5 x 43.3 x 21.6 Inch, the desk is delivered flat packed with assembly instructions
- Versatile; can be used as an office, kids or study desk and also comes with instructions in Spanish
- Enhances the spirit of your home or office and impresses by its appearance and working comfort
3. The Winsome All Wood Studio Home Office
This traditional writing desk was designed to minimize distractions and is a small writing desk. It’s perfect for small spaces.
This stylish wood writing desk could work for a novelist who wants to use a writing pen or laptop. I could also imagine sitting at this desk with a notebook and pencil while working by candlelight.
This furnishing is less suitable for a blogger who might have lots of office equipment or multiple monitors. I couldn’t imagine recording videos at this desk.
- Multiple drawers, compartments, and a cubbyhole
- Crafted of solid beechwood
- Modular computer desk with pullout keyboard tray
- Crafted of solid beechwood with warm Honey finish
- Clean lines and slender legs offer classic casual style
- Matching writing desk, corner table, printer stand, file cabinet, and bookshelf available
- Assembly required; measures 42-inch wide by 20-inch deep by 29-inch high
4. DlandHome Computer Desk with Shelf
This clean line piece is an example of form over substance. Made from particle wood with high resistance to scratches & friction. The metal frame makes it sturdy, stable and durable. It would look nice tucked away in a small corner of the room.
It's more suitable if you have a laptop and don’t use multiple monitors or heavy equipment. It's available in black or wood finish.
- Multifunctional Computer Desk
- Features one shelf to hold your books, computer devices or other office accessories on the side.
- Durable and Stable
- ✔Office Computer Desk Size : L54.7 x W21.6 x H29.1inch(L139 * W55 * H74cm). This computer desk is perfect for home office but provides large space for your working without taking up a ton of space.
- ✔Durable and Stable : Computer desk panel material is particle wood with high resistance on scratch & friction. Frame material is powder-coated metal with a thickness of 1.2 mm, thicker than ordinary 0.8 mm, which ensures stability and durability.
- ✔Desk Shelf Design : This computer desk blends perfectly in your home office. To keep your desk tidy and neat, this home office desk features one shelf to hold your books, computer devices or other office accessories on the side.
- ✔Multifunctional Computer Desk : This desk can be used as computer table, writing desk, gaming desk, home office desk, student desk,study desk, etc.
- ✔Easy Assemble : Some assembly may be required for this office computer table. All tools and hardware are included in the package. If your item arrives damaged, scratched or missing part, please feel free to let us know.
5. Ameriwood’s Home Haven Retro Desk with Standalone Riser
This is an updated, affordable writing desk that has attracted praise from people living in apartments. Even though it can support a large monitor or iMac, it’s an excellent desk for small spaces. The distressed oak stylish desk is sturdy, but one person can assemble it within an hour. Designed with particle board and a sleek laminate oak finish, it’s also attractive to the eye.
- Can comfortably accommodate a laptop, notebooks, papers, and other office supplies.
- The desk riser behind the desk offers extra space
- Maximize your home office space with the Ameriwood Home Dakota L-Shaped Desk
- Assembled dimensions: 28.31”H x 51.34”W x 53.62”D
- This Desk fits perfectly in a corner or up against any wall and features a large top surface, extra side storage and grommet holes to keep your cords tangle free
- Complete your room with other items from Ameriwood Home (sold separately). Clean and Care - Dust and wipe with a dry cloth and if needed, a damp cloth may be used sparingly
- The Desk ships flat to your door and 2 adults are recommended to assemble. The desktop can support up to 100 lbs. and the side shelves will each hold 35 lbs.
6. The Southern Enterprises Dual Writing Desk
This mid-century traditional writing desk takes about 15 minutes to assemble. Lightweight and stylish, it features two center drawers with two knobs each for convenient storage space and easy access.
I wouldn’t be able to fit all my equipment on top of this small desk, but your needs might vary.
- Available in crisp white, classic black, and brown finish color schemes
- Spindle legs with carved detailing create a chic country style
- Made of solid wood and MDF (medium-density fibreboard)
- Mid-century modern design
- Slim profile writing desk features two drawers for convenient storage and easy access
- Durable hardwood adds style to any home office, dorm, or living room area
- Satin black finish combines with spindle legs and carved detailing for country chic style
- Storage desk is made with solid wood and MDF and requires assembly
- Furniture piece weighs 41 pounds, supports 70 pounds overall, and measures 42. 5 inches wide x 23 inches deep x 30. 5 inches high
7. The Coavas Modern Writing Desk and Computer Desk
This simple modern desk borrows from industrial design. This folding furniture piece is small enough to fit in a bedroom but big enough to handle most creative work. Whether it’s DIY projects or starting your next bestseller, this modern office desk covers your needs. This small desk is stable and can be assembled in five minutes without special tools.
- Waterproof and durable
- Coavas Computer Desk - SIMPLEST INSTALLATION - 8 seconds to complete !
- Coavas Computer Desk-- FOLDING AND PORTABLE :When not in use can be folded in the corner, save space; Also convenient to carry when going out for a picnic.
- Coavas Computer Desk-- APPLICABLE ROOM AND FUNCTION :Suitable for study, bedroom, living room, kitchen, children's room, office.Can be a computer desk, learning tables, game tables, picnic tables,secretarial desk.
- Coavas Computer Desk-- MATERIAL:MDF -Waterproof and No deformation, durable and solid, brown texture Desktop design is simple yet stylish.
- Coavas Computer Desk-- SIZE:100*50*72CM (L*W*H : 39.4 * 19.7 * 28.3 Inches)
8. The Sauder Shoal Creek Writing Desk
This traditional writing desk/pedestal desk has lots of space for essentials like notepads, a laptop, a cup full of highlighters, and other odds and ends. The desk is equipped with an integrated organizer hutch, cubbyhole storage space, and pull-out drawers.
- The desk features one large and two small easy-glide storage drawers
- Designed like a pedestal desk
- A modern addition to any room, this computer desk features three easy-glide drawers and a convenient hutch for additional storage and organization
- This home office desk includes: Three drawers; lower drawer holds letter-size hanging files
- Organizer hutch with cubbyhole storage
- Diamond Ash finish
- Engineered wood construction
9. The Nathan James 51002 Kalos Home Office Desk
This is an attractive, affordable campaign writing desk with a contemporary update. It’s ideal for a small office space or room used for more than just creating. It contains additional space for paper, a keyboard, writing utensils, and other office supplies.
- Large campaign desk built exclusively from reclaimed wood
- X-shaped base designed from solid pine wood
- Stretcher for stability
- Two large, open storage compartments
- Can be assembled in 15 minutes
- The Kalos Desk features a table top made of reclaimed wood with two open storage compartments.
- The X-shaped base is built from solid pine wood with a stretcher for added stability.
- Free returns for 90 days and lifetime manufacturer warranty.
- Easy 15-minute assembly.
- The wide surface area of this writing desk support any laptop or 28-inch computer monitor.
10. The Sauder Carson Forge Writing Desk
This is a small but deep desk allowing plenty of space for work and books. The faux surface gives the appearance of aged wood, but it is smooth and sleek.
- Includes a flip-down molding that reveals a slide-out shelf for a laptop or keyboard/mouse
- Small drawer features safety stops and metal runners
- Wrought iron accents
- Concealed cord management
- Sleek cherry finish
- Two drawers feature metal runners and safety stops
- Lower drawer with full extension slides holds letter or legal size hanging files
- Storage area behind door features an adjustable shelf and holds vertical CPU tower
- Finished on all sides for versatile placement
- Wrought iron style hardware and accents
11. ApexDesk Elite Series 71″ W Electric Height Adjustable Standing Desk recommended
This type of height-adjustable writing desk is my ideal choice. It comes in a 60- or 70-inch width and is suitable if you have a large workspace.
Arguably, these aren’t the most visually appealing desks in this guide, though the modern design is nice. I like these types of desks, however, because in addition to allowing for different heights, they offer lots of space for a computer, printers, books, and multiple monitors. These standing desks are versatile and long-lasting, hence the high-price.
If you’re serious about your work, consider investing in a piece of furniture like this.
I have a similar model in white. That color shows dirt more than others, but a white desk looks striking (when clean!).
- Memory height controller
- Available in multiple colors
- Ideal for serious work
- Sturdy metal legs
- 𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐁𝐘 𝐂𝐍𝐍 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐂𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐃 – Debuted in 2015 and for six years running, the Elite Series has been the favorite of reviewers and users. Many improvements have been made over the years. The desk has become more stable, quieter. We’ve updated packaging to reduce shipping damages to a minimum. Replacement parts are shipped within 24hrs from Los Angeles if shipping damage occurs. The desk ships in three packages and may arrive 1 to 2 days apart.
- 𝐇𝐔𝐆𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐊 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄 – One-piece solid 1” thick top. At 71” wide and 33” deep (29” at mid-section), it can hold up to three screens and is one of the largest standing desks in the market. The top is made of laminated MDF with 8 colors to choose. The edges are beveled giving the desk a sophisticated look. The top comes with pre-installed metal anchors for easy installation. The top can be re-installed multiple times without damage.
- 𝐏𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐃𝐔𝐀𝐋 𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐎𝐑 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐘𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐌 – With a fast speed of 1.5” per second, the desk can move anywhere between 29” to 49” with a push of a button. The load capacity is 235 lbs. The digital controller has four programmable presets.
- 𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐐𝐔𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄 – The crossbar is fixed. No maneuver is needed to line the base up with the top. Legs are secured with locking levers. Most users can assemble in 45 minutes. The desk does not need to be taken apart if the control box or a leg needs to be replaced.
- 𝐂𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐘 𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐄𝐃 & 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐊 𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 – Originally sold separately, we are now including a full-size cable management tray. Measuring 35.5” x 5.5”, the tray is large enough to hide all cables that comes with the desk and has space for one 12-outlet power strip and a few power adapters. Matching 47” side desks in exactly same top and base color are available and sold separately in four popular colors – white, black, light oak and red apple.
12. Mr. Ironstone L-shaped corner desk
I previously owned an L-shaped metal frame desk like this with an MDF desktop and metal legs that lasted for about seven years. I set it up in a small home office and got rid of it only because we moved houses.
These types of desks are useful if space is an issue, as you can fit them in a corner and make maximum use of the area available. They are perfect for when single-drawer desks just won’t cut it.
If you’re buying an L-shaped or U-shaped desk, be sure to check the measurements first. An L-shaped desk still needs to fit around obstructions like doors, window frames and so on.
- Available in multiple color schemes
- Ideal for home workers
- Sturdy steel frame and legs
- Larger Desktop & Ample Space:（59+59)” W * 21.7” D double desktop, the office computer desk can provide massive space to lay 2-3 monitors or screens, books, papers, documents, and plants on the spacious desktop. Easy switch of the two sides as your habit, it can maximize the daily working, gaming, and reading enjoyment.
- L-Shaped Corner Design & Multipurpose: Both sides of this space-saving study desk are the same length fits snugly in a corner to maximize your limited space. The back of the middle corner is cut off to allow cables to go where they need to, ideal when used as a gaming desk to manage cords from consoles.
- Durable & Sturdy Construction: The L shaped desk is constructed by high quality P2 black mdf Board & Metal Frame. The metal frame offers a large weight capacity. Extra“ X” style bracings ensure stability and durability. Adjustable leg pads ensure the L desk keeps a sturdy construction even on uneven ground.
- Fast Installation & Easy Cleaning: To make assembling this sturdy L-shaped desk as effortless as possible, we have included quite clear and detailed instructions, numbered parts, and all necessary tools in the package. Made of the textured surface, the modern desk is anti-skidding, anti-scratch, and easy cleaning.
- What You Get: An L-shaped computer desk, adjustable feet, easy-to-follow instructions, and a simple assembly process.
13. Flash Furniture Clifton Black Computer Desk
I’ve used dedicated budget-friendly office furniture like this one in the past. They’re useful for gamers and for writers who don’t spend hours at a desk but still need somewhere to work.
Personally, I don’t find all the extra shelving and trays attractive, and I shy away from desks at the lower end of the price range. I also don’t like computer desks on wheels as they often feel unsteady. That said, they’re ideal if you value function over form. They also work well in tight workspaces.
- Multiple open shelves
- Sleek laminate finish
- Compact computer desk makes any room in the home your office; Raised monitor shelf to hold your tablet or monitor to free up work space; Lower shelf can hold an organizer and extra office supplies
- Home office desk with laminate shelves; Dorm computer desk fits in small spaces
- Contemporary style perforated frame in a silver powder coated finish; Bottom shelf is 16.5"H from main surface and 13.25"H from floor
- A modern solution to help maximize the vertical real estate in smaller apartments, dorm rooms or in the home and have a great place to work or study
- PRODUCT MEASUREMENTS : Overall Size: 28"W x 23.5"D x 33"H; Top Size: 28"W x 14"D x .5" Thick; Top Shelf Size: 28"W x 8"D; Bottom Shelf Size: 24.50"W x 9.5"D
14. Topeakmart 2 Tier Computer Desk
This is another budget-friendly portable writing desk or computer desk. Its particleboard makeup makes it lightweight. It comes on wheels, meaning you can move it around your house. It also has lots of space for bigger computers, a printer and so on. Again, this emphasizes function over form.
- Tower unit will hold lots of peripherals
- Maximizes space for smaller rooms
- Lightweight particle board material
- Multiple Shelves for Various Storage: This black computer table has several tiers to meet your different storage needs. The top shelf can be used for placing small domestic printers or fax machines. There is a side storage rack for some small stuff, like notebooks, or disks. Plus, the bottom shelf is for mainframe CPU and other big items. Multilayer design is practical for you to store things neatly and orderly.
- Movable and lockable Casters: The computer desk comes with four casters for smooth mobility, and two of them are lockable for easy stability. You can keep the computer desk as you need, no longer just placing the desk in the corner.
- Slide-out Keyboard Tray: The study desk for school and dormitory features a pull-out sliding keyboard tray, smooth to use. Beside the keyboard tray, there is a small rack for placing your frequently-used items, very convenient.
- Sturdy and Durable materials: This computer desk is made of durable and high-quality particle boards and iron tubes, which are sturdy and durable to use for a long time.
- Modern Design: This desk is suitable for study room, reading room, dormitory or office. Stylish and fashionable design, as well as black and gray color of this computer tower shelf perfectly decorates your home and also adds a touch of modern charm to your study room.
Which Writing Desk is Best for You?
First, decide how you will use your purchase.
Is it for writing, or do you intend to conduct other work, like creating videos? Will family members use the desk too?
If family members will use the space, a height-adjustable desk is a better choice, as they can move it for their activities.
If you are interested in using it exclusively for paying bills and correspondence, consider buying office furniture that includes a letter organizer.
However, if you’re more interested in using the desk for working on home-based projects or your laptop, select one with a large, flat work surface. The type, as well as the size of the desk, depends on your requirements. A writing desk with drawers and plenty of space may be just what you need.
Some choices include optional features such as an integrated power source or a pull-out keyboard tray. This will help you organize your desk.
Measure your room or office space and check that you have enough space for your desk of choice. If you are interested in using a desk for your computer, ensure it’s near a power source.
Finally, consider the color and material of your desk. Do you want it to match your decor? I owned a beechwood desk that didn’t show dirt; however, it revealed scratches and marks after a few years. My current writing table is a white desk, which looks great. However, I need to clean it more often, and it’s less suitable for kids.
Tips For Buying The Best Writing Desk
Many of the desks reviewed above are practical and easy to assemble.
Each of these choices will blend in with the environment and can help you focus on your work.
Here are my tips for buyers:
- Measure how much space you have for a desk before buying one.
- Consider who else will use the desk and how.
- Much like a grammar checker, determine other reasons why you need the desk.
- Place the desk near an electrical outlet.
- Identify and budget for additional requirements such as storage drawers, shelves, and cable systems.
- Avoid a Frankenstein set up, that is a desk, drawers and accessories by different manufacturers.
- Cheap desks are typically less sturdy than more expensive models and don’t always represent a good investment.
- Pick a color scheme that complements your environment.
- Wooden desks are great, but they will show marks and require treatment.
- MDF (medium-density fibreboard) desks are more affordable but not as long-lasting.
- Glass desks look elegant, but they are noisy.
What Are the Key Differences Between Writing Desks and Computer Desks?
A writing desk has a traditional design, sometimes including storage drawers. A computer desk, on the other hand, is somewhat larger and more accommodating. It includes features like a wire tray for computer cables and a keyboard drawer and can function as a writing desk as well. Computer desks tend to look more functional.
A writing desk usually includes the following characteristics:
- One or more drawers
- A bookshelf or hutch
- Added storage space or compartments for stationery items
A computer desk generally offers features including:
- A large and roomy desktop to accommodate multiple monitors
- Extra storage space for the PC
- Cable management systems
- Fewer drawers and compartments
- A pull-out keyboard tray
Why Do You Need a Writing Desk?
All writers need a place they can go and work without interruption.
A well-made writing table enhances the sophistication and style of any office space or home. Much like a good writing tool, the right desk can even inspire creativity and spark productive work or a creative environment.
A desk isn’t just for penning a letter or writing a book.
You can use it for work, drawing, and gaming, although I usually recommend removing distractions from wherever you write.
Should You Buy a Standing Desk?
In the past, I’ve used an L-shaped desk I bought at Ikea. Recently, I switched to a standing desk. I can raise and lower the desk as needed.
This is useful, as I sometimes suffer from repetitive strain injury and sciatica if I sit all day. It’s also good, as I can mount a web camera to my monitor and raise the desk when recording videos.
However, standing options require more space and are more expensive. It’s also difficult to stand at a desk for more than an hour or two without getting tired.
That said, standing options are versatile. I write articles while sitting at my writing table after waking up early. When I want to record a video or speak to the camera, I raise the height and get to work.
If you have a larger budget, more needs, and lots of space, I’d recommend a standing desk.
Final Thoughts on The Best Writing Desks
It doesn’t matter if you are looking for an executive desk with plenty of room and birch veneers or a writing table to match your glam living room and home decor. There’s a variety of office furniture options and writing desks for sale with new arrivals coming all the time.
From wood-grain to white finish, cubbies to pull-out drawers, file drawers to bookcases, and industrial style to modern style writing desks, we've covered a wide selection of office essentials.
Join over 15,000 writers today
You'll get a free book of practical writing prompts.