Are you looking to learn more about the potential earning of a technical writer? Learn more about the technical writer average salary below!
If you are someone who loves technical writing, then you might be wondering about the average base salary for someone who has a bachelor’s degree and gets a job as a technical writer.
The salary range of a writer who performs technical documentation can vary significantly, particularly when you are a senior technical writer. Some technical writers make about $40,000 per year while others might make more than $100,000 per year; however, there are a lot of factors involved, and we will provide more context below.
So, do technical writers make a lot of money? What is the common technical writer salary for someone who is a full-time writer at the entry-level?
- A Technical Writer Average Salary Based On Multiple Sources
- What Factors Impact the Average Total Compensation of a Technical Writer?
- How To Find a Technical Writer Job
- Final Word on Technical Writer Average Salary
- FAQs About Technical Writer Average Salary
A Technical Writer Average Salary Based On Multiple Sources
It can be difficult to pinpoint the average salary of a technical writer. Still, there are multiple sources that conduct regular surveys to learn more about how much money they make.
For example, according to Glassdoor, the average technical writer makes between $54,000 per year and $97,000 per year. On the other hand, PayScale indicates that the average salary for a technical writer is between $43,000 and $88,000 per year.
Because the average salary of a technical writer can vary significantly, it is important to analyze the factors that will play a role in the technical writer average salary. You might also be interested in learning how much does a proofreader make.
What Factors Impact the Average Total Compensation of a Technical Writer?
Several factors will impact the average salary of a technical writer. A few of the most important factors include:
- Cost of living: Without a doubt, the average salary of a technical writer will vary significantly depending on where the job is located. For example, someone who lives in an area with a higher cost of living, such as New York, Los Angeles, or Massachusetts, is going to command a higher salary than someone who lives in an area with a lower cost of living, such as Austin, Dallas, or Colorado.
- Years of experience: Of course, the experience of the technical writer is also going to play a role. Someone who has more years of experience is going to demand a higher salary than someone who is just entering the field. They may even have a slightly different job title.
- Scope of duties: The responsibilities of that technical writer will also play a role in how much money they make. Someone who has a lot more to do during the day is probably going to make more money.
- Additional cash compensation: Finally, there may also be situations where a technical writer may qualify for performance bonuses. For example, some jobs have an individual bonus, where someone is paid extra money based on their performance during the course of the year. Other positions may have something called profit sharing, where individual employees are paid a bonus based on the company’s overall performance.
These are a few of the most important factors that might play a role in how much money someone could make as a technical writer.
How To Find a Technical Writer Job
So, if you are looking for a job as a technical writer, how can you find the right position for yourself? First, you need to have the right educational skills. For example, a lot of technical writers go to school and major in English. They may also take several electives in technical writing to learn more about how this field works.
After this, many individuals interested in pursuing a career and technical writing will look for an internship. This will allow them to get their foot in the door with a company. Then, after they can show others what they are able to do, they might be offered a job.
A lot of technical writers also specialized in a certain area. For example, technical writers who specialize in healthcare are currently in high demand. There is a lot of jargon in this field that people need to understand. If you have a lot of experience in a particular area, you may be able to qualify for specific technical writer positions.
You should also have a list of articles, reviews, and references that people can look at to learn more about your skills. This will make it easier for you to compete for jobs that might have a lot of applicants. There are plenty of online resources for finding work as a writer, including technical writer opportunities.
Final Word on Technical Writer Average Salary
If you are interested in a technical writer’s average salary, there are a lot of factors to consider. For example, some recent technical writer salaries show they make less than $50,000 a year, while others might make more than $100,000 a year. Some of the factors that will play a role in how much money a technical writer makes include the cost of living in that area, the job title, and the years of experience they have.
If you are interested in starting a career as a technical writer, you may want to look at a few job openings. Read the job description, and see if they are a match for what you offer. If you can get your foot in the door, you might be able to launch your career as a successful technical writer.
FAQs About Technical Writer Average Salary
How much money do technical writers make?
It isn’t easy to pinpoint the exact amount of money a technical writer might make, but most technical writers earn between $50,000 per year and $100,000 per year. Again, you may want to look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics to learn more.
Is being a technical writer a good career?
A technical writer has the potential to make a comfortable living. What is most important is whether you enjoy the work. A technical writer usually uses industry jargon, writing for other professionals in the field. Technical communication and technical content are also in high demand in Seattle. If you like this work, it is a good career for you.