Are you looking for the best French grammar checkers? Take a look at a few of the top options in our guide.
While there are plenty of English grammar apps, you might be looking for a French spell checker that can help you with your writing. While native speakers can go with what “sounds” right, you might be looking for a grammar tool that can help you with spelling errors, synonyms, and grammar errors (such as conjugation). What are the best French grammar checkers available if you are looking for a grammar checker tool to help you with your French spelling?
Price: Multiple options, a one-time price of $130 is one choice
Best For: Those looking for a well-rounded grammar checker that can do a bit of everything
If you are looking for a powerful French grammar checker that can do a bit of everything, you might want to go with Antidote. This is a simple, straightforward grammar corrector that can catch just about everything. This includes capitalization issues, verb agreement issues, and redundancies. It is a comprehensive tool that will not only correct your grammar but your style as well. The guides are clear and detailed, and the dictionary comes with a powerful search tool. If you need a thesaurus, this program can help you.
Price: Ranges from $10 to $54, subscription service
Best For: Those looking for the easiest tool to use
Scribens is a tool that has a simple, straightforward website that is easy to navigate. It might not be as popular as some other programs, but it is a great starting place if you need a French grammar checker. It is still a comprehensive French grammar-checking tool, but it does not have as many flashier features as some of the other programs. This might be the best option if you need a tool that is easy to use.
Price: Starts at $15 per year
Best For: Those who are new to French
BonPatron is an excellent choice for those new to French because the interface and grammar explanations are in English. You can check a small block of text when you paste your text into the tool. It does not catch as many mistakes as other tools, but if you are new to French, you may not want to see your entire text highlighted with mistakes. It does catch some complex grammar issues but does not come with a drop-down menu of suggested corrections. This can be frustrating during the editing process.
Price: Free version available. The paid premium version is customized based on client needs
Best For: Those who also want a translation service
Reverso is a tool that is better known as a translation service, but it can check your grammar and spelling for you as well. It is not as thorough as other tools, as it is meant more as a translator, not a grammar checker. This could be a great option if you want a free tool, but it is relatively limited. The premium version is customized to meet your needs if you want to use all the features. It can be a bit pricey.
Price: Starts at $20 per month for individual users
Best For: Those who need grammar checking in multiple languages
LanguageTool is one of the most comprehensive and popular grammar checkers for those who need to check multiple languages. A free browser extension allows you to get used to the program before you decide if you want to buy the entire thing. If you want to correct all issues, you must buy the premium version.
As we looked for a proofreading tool that could help you with French language grammar mistakes, we considered several essential criteria. Some of the criteria included:
- Accuracy: French text proofreading differs from English, and we considered the options’ accuracy before ranking them. We wanted the tool to be as accurate as possible, which is why we tested the tool carefully and took a look at reviews written by reputable third parties about how accurately the tool corrects punctuation and grammatical errors.
- Ease of Use: In addition to following grammar rules, we also looked for a versatile tool that was easy to use. Ideally, the tool comes with a browser extension and is compatible with Android and iOS. That way, you can use the tool just about everywhere. We wanted a tool that learners could use easily.
- Value for Money: We also wanted a tool that could provide plenty of features for a low price. While the free option is not always the best, the most expensive option is not always the best. We compared the cost of the tool to its ability to catch potential errors with nouns, verbs, adjectives, and syntax.
After considering all of these factors, we compiled the list of options above.
Why You Can Trust Me
If you want to learn French and write like a native French speaker, you need to use a grammar checker that can help you. Some of the reasons why you can trust me include:
- We have interacted with native speakers who reviewed French words and corrections in these tools to ensure they are as accurate as possible.
- We have a tremendous amount of experience with English grammar checkers, so we know what to look for when we are looking for grammar checkers in another language as well.
- We are open, honest, and transparent with our reviews, so you can be confident that we are presenting you with the best options possible.
If you are looking for a way to improve your vocabulary, consider using a few of the grammar checkers above. Then, test them out to find the best one to meet your needs.
The Final Word On French Grammar Checkers
Antidote is the best grammar checker for french speaker. It’s been developed for over 25 years, is accurate and easy to use. It’s also affordable and supports English. We particularly liked how it works online and offline.
What About Grammarly For English Learners?
You can easily learn English grammar using Grammarly. It’s great for improving your English writing skills, as you can use it to check any piece of writing and get context behind mistakes. This software checks for readability, grammar, syntax, tone, and more. However, it doesn’t support French. Find out more in our comprehensive Grammarly review.
FAQs About The French Grammar Checkers:
Is there a French version of Grammarly?
No, Grammarly does not have a French version. It is solely an English grammar checker and does not handle other languages.
How accurate is BonPatron?
BonPatron is a reasonably accurate grammar tool. It will catch basic mistakes and is excellent for beginners but it is not the best option for advanced speakers who require detailed explanations of their grammar mistakes.
For more help, check out our round-up of the best essay checkers