Are you curious about how to write a love letter? Then, learn about the most important steps below.
Today, we live in an era where many people use text messages and social media to communicate with one another. So naturally makes a handwritten letter to your best friend or soulmate all the more special. First, however, you must consider the right romantic gesture to let your loved one or significant other know how you feel about them.
Sometimes, the right way to communicate your true feelings is to write a love letter to your true love. There is never a second chance to make a first impression, so you need to make your love letter count. Take a look at some of the most critical steps you need to follow if you want to pen a beautiful love note to your special someone.
If you are curious about how to write the perfect love letter, you must ensure you have suitable materials. Some of the materials you need to collect include:
- You need to have a piece of paper on which you can write down a few notes. In addition, you may want to have several pieces of paper to move your notes to your rough draft.
- You should have several writing utensils as well. For example, you should have a pencil with an eraser, a pen, and maybe a few colored writing utensils if you want to add something special.
- You may want to have a few pictures you can reference as you write your love letter.
- If you think it might be helpful to have a computer to look things up, you should have one handy.
- You may want to have something that can minimize distractions in the room. For example, you may want to have some earplugs so that you can focus.
- You also need to have the address of your loved one, a stamp, and an envelope so you can send your love letter. After all, it will be handwritten.
Once you have collected all of the materials you need, you can get started with your love letter.
Step 1: Find a Private Place
Before you can start writing your love poem or letter, you need to have a private place where you can work. For example, you may want to go upstairs to your room and close the door. You may also want to turn off your phone so that you do not get disturbed by notifications from other people. This is the time to put in earplugs, mainly if you live with other people in the house.
If you have a TV in your room, make sure that you turn it off as well. You also need to set the mood. For example, you may want to light a candle that reminds you of your significant other. You may want to play a song on the radio if it reminds you of some good memories, but if the radio is distracting, leave it off. Next, you may want to pull out a few pictures of fun times you have had with your loved one. This could help you trigger a memory that could get the creative juices flowing. If you have sample love letters from your loved one, you may also want to use those as a source of inspiration.
Step 2: How Does Your Loved One Make Your Feel?
Before you even write the salutation to your love letter, you need to think about how your loved one makes you feel. Everyone has memories of what it feels like to be in love. You need to reflect on a romantic memory, such as one from your first date, that will help you figure out what to include in the love letter. This is particularly important if you are in a long-distance relationship, as you and your loved one may not have seen each other in a very long time. Can you remember when all your attention was focused on a single person? Can you think of a time when it felt like the world ground to a halt around you?
A few examples of memories you may want to consider include:
- Where did you go on your first date?
- When was the first time you felt like you knew you were in love with that person?
- When are you and your loved one at your happiest?
- Can you think of a favorite meal that you two have enjoyed together?
- Do you have a favorite song or movie you like to watch together?
- Have you all gone on vacation somewhere that both of you enjoyed?
These are just a few examples of memories you may want to conjure up as you reflect on how you feel in the love letter.
Step 3: Think About What You Appreciate Most
Now that you have some memories in your mind, it is time for you to start writing down a few simple sentences for your romantic love letter. Remember that something first attracted you to them, which is what caused you to fall in love. You want to consider your loved one’s looks, personality, temperament, humor, strengths, weaknesses, and overall character. With these thoughts in mind, it is time for you to start the letter-writing process.
Here are a few sample sentences that you may want to include:
- I love the way our hands fit perfectly together when we walk down the street.
- No matter how difficult my day is, you always find a way to make it better.
- I know that no matter how frustrated I get, the instant I look at you, everything is going to be okay.
- Your eyes can light up the room the second you walk in.
- Your generosity knows no bounds, and I love how giving you are to others, including me.
Remember that these sentences do not need to go in a specific order. All you need to do is get them down on the page. Then, you can rearrange them later.
Step 4: Use Specific Details and Events
Now that your feelings are on the page, you need to talk about specific details and events. You do not want the letter to be too mushy or over-the-top. Even though a long list of your feelings might be beautiful, you need to turn it into an actual letter.
A few essential points to keep in mind include:
- Can you remember what you were doing when you felt that way? For example, if you talk about you and your loved one holding hands, you may want to mention where you are walking during that time.
- If you feel like your loved one has a smile that lights up the room, when did you first notice that? What event were you going to? It may have been during a holiday event with your other friends or family members.
- If you believe your loved one is incredibly generous, can you recall a specific instance when you saw that happen? For example, you might have been going to a wedding or a birthday party when you first noticed how beautiful that smile was.
These specific moments are important because they will make your letter more powerful. Then, when your loved one reads the letter, they will also recall those memories.
Step 5: Think About the Future
As you continue writing your love letter, you should think about the future you and your significant other will have together. Can you think of a few goals, dreams, and aspirations you two have together? If you have something in common, you may want to include it in the letter.
A few examples include:
- Is there a specific place you want to visit? For example, if you have always dreamed of going to the Caribbean, you may want to mention that in the love letter.
- Have you two talked about having children together? If so, you may want to talk about the goals you have for your children.
- Is there a specific restaurant you want to visit when you are together again? You might want to include that in the letter as well.
- Have you two talked about getting married and what you want your wedding to be like? Do not hesitate to throw out a few possible ideas for your wedding, particularly if you have thought of them.
You need to include specific details about the future because it will give you something to look forward to. However, remember that you should also ask your loved one for ideas and thoughts about the future.
Step 6: Closing Your Love Letter
Finally, it is time for you to close your love letter. How do you want to end it? Even though a simple “Love” can be helpful, you may want to include something unique. For example, you should reiterate your commitment to your loved one. As an example line, you may want to include something like:
“Thank you for everything you have done for me. You are my rock, and I could not have made it this far without you. I love you, and I am grateful that you are in my life every day.”
Keep in mind that this is just a sample. You need to tweak this to be an accurate reflection of the relationship you have with your loved one. Once you have your closing in place, you can finalize the letter.
Step 7: Proofread the Rought Draft
In the course of your love letter, you have gone from your first date to the future. Therefore, you should have an excellent draft in front of you. It is time for you to proofread the rough draft. As you read the rough draft, several thoughts must go through your mind. One of the most important things you should consider include:
- You need to be forgiving with yourself. If this is the first love letter you have ever written, you should not expect it to be perfect. That is why you have plenty of pieces of paper in front of you. You can always write it again.
- There is nothing wrong with looking at a few sample love letters. For example, you may have even read some love letters soldiers have written on the battlefield. However, remember that you should be expressing your voice in the letter. Make sure your voice shines through, as that is the only way to sound sincere to your loved one.
- You need to consider whether your love note is a fitting gesture. This means that a love letter written to someone you have known for a few months will be different than if you are writing a love letter to your partner of 30 years.
- Remember that you must also include the word “I love you” in the love letter somewhere. Even though this is very simple, putting the physical words on the page will make a difference.
- Do not forget to proofread for simple spelling and grammar issues as well. Even though they might sound minor, they can detract from your love letter if they are present.
Once you have proofread your love letter, you should finalize the draft. Think carefully about how you addressed a letter. If you mess up the address, it may be returned to you. Put the stamp in the right location, and do not forget to include a return address. If you want to decorate the envelope, you can do so. You need to consider your partner and whether these accouterments will go over well. Now, you can put your love letter in the mail!
Join over 15,000 writers today
Get a FREE book of writing prompts and learn how to make more money from your writing.